Initiating a Staff Recruitment
A step-by-step guide to initiating a new or replacement staff recruitment in the School of Natural Sciences at UC Merced.
Initiate the recruitment process
Determine if there is a vacancy to be filled
Determine whether to recall, recruit, restructure or re-organize the position
Determine the appointment type - career, limited, or contract. For limited contract positions, see limited or contract employment toolkit
Verify with School of Natural Sciences Staff Personnel Specialist about valid full-time equivalent (FTE) and/or funding.
Create or Update Job Description
If it is a new position:
For non-represented positions:
- Utilize Job Builder to determine the appropriate job required skills, knowledge and abilities (SKAs) for the position. Job Builder will create a job description based on your entries.
- Share job description via Job Builder with SNS Staff Personnel Specialist.
For represented positions:
- Access the Job Specifications website to determine the appropriate job classification based on job concepts.
- Create the job description utilizing the Represented Staff Job Description Template.
- Contact the SNS Staff Personnel Specialist when the position is ready to be classified. Upon approval of the classification, proceed to Step 3.
For a replacement:
- Review the existing job description and identify changes.
- Ensure all appropriate updates have been made to the job description.
- Share job description via Job Builder with SNS Staff Personnel Specialist. (For represented positions, email SNS Staff Personnel Specialist with updated job description.
Provide SNS Staff Personnel Specialist with the following:
- Funding source (Principal Investigator only)
- Appointment percentage
- Position Title (see Title Code System (TCS). Consult with SNS Staff Personnel Specialist if assistance is needed)
- Anticipated start date
- Anticipated end date (if applicable)
- Preferred salary range (See PPSM 30 for information regarding salary restrictions)
Staff Personnel Specialist will submit Job Posting Request for advertising on standard (nonpaid) posting websites
Note: Job postings are based on information provided on recruitment request form and job description.