About the Minor
Environmental science is an interdisciplinary academic field that focuses on application of concepts and methods from the physical, chemical, biological and social sciences to the study of the natural environment and seeks solutions to environmental problems. Sustainability science aims to improve the quality of human life within the carrying capacity of supporting ecosystems.
The Environmental Science and Sustainability minor at UC Merced will allow students from diverse backgrounds to pursue interests in earth and environmental sciences in some depth without requiring the breadth of coursework and extensive laboratory and field time required for the Earth System Science major.
Graduates with a minor in Environmental Science and Sustainability will be able to:
- Understand major concepts and principles in Environmental Science and Sustainability, including the interdependence of elements of the Earth system, the carrying capacity of natural systems, and the role of policy and economics in both perpetuating and solving environmental problems.
- Develop upper-division expertise in three to four central areas of Environmental Science and Sustainability: Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Environmental Biology, Society and Environment, and Research, Communication and Design Skills
- Apply and analyze appropriate solutions to a variety of environmental problems
- Select appropriate measurement tools and gather environmental data using common instrumentation
- Effectively analyze environmental data and communicate Environmental Science issues to a wider community of stakeholders