Skip to content Skip to navigation

Instructional Resources & Logistics

Mandated Course Syllabi & Assessment

For Spring 2018 course syllabi are due Tuesday, January 9, 2018

It is the responsibility of each primary instructor of record (IOR) to submit a syllabus for each of their assigned courses. Submission of syllabi are due within CatCourses prior to the start of instruction as noted above and instructors will be reminded to do via email. Please review instructional CatCourse material on our campus IT website at

Lecturer/TA Office Hours and Keys

Lecturers and TAs should forward the days and times they are planning to hold their office hours to Natural Sciences Faculty Support at Work space assignments for respective office hours are based on a first come first serve basis. If your TA or lecturer office hours request cannot be accommodated into one of our NS work spaces please refer to 'Room Reservations' below on how to reserve other rooms in classroom buildings, library, and conference rooms. Those who currently have a key checked out may keep it until they are no longer assigned to their respective work space. Once you are assigned to a work space and need a key please contact

Room Reservations

For academic/instructional purposes there are additional rooms available for reservation in COB1, COB2, Kolligian Library, SE1 and SE2 depending on your needs. Please refer to the campus room inventory link below to determine a room for your reservation.

           SE1 Conference Rooms
           Vanessa Ortega - NS Front Desk Specialist
           P: 209-228-4309

           SE2 Conference Rooms & SSM 230/235
           Web Form:
           P: 209-228-4411

           SSM Conference Rooms

*Indicates special approval requirement

Registrar's Office reservation instructions, policies and procedures:

Section Assignments

Census is on the third week of every semester. For Spring 2018, it is Monday, February 5.

It is very important that all instructor/TA assignments are correct in the Banner Student Information System, not only for Course Management System (CatCourses) access (please see below) but specifically for reporting to the University of California Office of the President (UCOP) as well as for the end of semester course evaluation process to ensure students are completing course evaluations for the correct instructor. Please notify Scheduling staff what changes are needed ASAP before census each semester so that any necessary changes can be processed and reported to the Office of the Registrar before the census snapshot is taken. Thank you for your prompt attention to this important detail.

Please visit the following link to confirm your section assignments are correct on the course schedule:

Instructional Lab Access

All lab access will be set by the first day of instruction and only CatCard accessible. If you do not have access to the labs for which you will need access in order to teach your first section, please contact:

Instructional Copy Code (Printing)

Please note that instructional copy codes are for instructional copies only. The instructional copy code is emailed to assigned instructors of record along with a link to this page every semester. Copy codes are course-specific and change each term. Instructions on how to use your copy code in our xerox machines please read the following: copy_code_instructions.docx

Instructional copy code can be used at the following locations:

  • Science and Engineering 2 265
  • Science and Engineering 2 365
  • Science and Engineering (SE) 247
  • Science and Engineering (SE) 347
  • Classroom and Office Building (COB) 310
  • Academic Office Annex Building (AOA) in hallway nook
  • Social Sciences and Management Building (SSM) 256
  • Social Sciences and Management Building (SSM) 350

Copy support is provided by instructional staff when there isn't a TA assigned to the course or an exception is made for extenuatingly circumstances such as a peak workload period for the course TA(s) or an abrupt leave of absence. 

Instructional Computing Support

For those that teach a lab course using Linux, instructional computing support can be requested by emailing . For those teaching a lab course using Windows, you may request support by visiting IT Help Desk, emailing or calling 209-228-4357.

Course Grading:

Lecturers and primary course instructors should meet to ensure that all grading is completed and all necessary information has been shared in order to submit final grades. Provide any other input on the course as requested by the primary instructor. Depending on the date of the final exam, the grading process may extend into the week after the instructional end of the semester. The following is a link for information of how to implement CatCourses:

Scantron Machines

There is a Scantron 888P+ machine available for use in SE1 347 in addition to an iNSIGHT 30 OpScan 4ES Scanner in COB 310 for a large red form (No. 223127) and a large blue form (No. 106473). Both rooms are Catcard Accessible. The OpScan 4ES scanner is connected to a laptop that is password protected. Please email snscurriculum@ucmerced to request the password with your primary instructor attached. The links provided below are useful to both verify what scantrom forms are compatible with each machine and helpful information on how to operate them.

Desk (Textbook) Copies

You can view submitted course textbook materials for Spring 2018 using this link (agree to terms at the bottom of the page to view): UCM Bookstore Site .

Faculty should work with the appropriate publisher representative (contact list below) to get desk copies for themselves or if your publisher contact is not responsive please submit a request using the 'NS Textbook Request Webform.'  Copies are ordered on the behalf of new lecturers /TAs as requested and then loaned for the length of their academic appointment. Loaned copies are then due back to our school to be re-issued to instructors for the following term. Please submit one request for each course textbook at least two weeks prior to needing a textbook incase a copy is not readily available on campus. You may submit textbook requests for new textbooks, returning and re-checking out copies using the following webform: NS Textbook Request Webform

All NS instructional textbook copies are only required course textbooks for NS instructional staff (TAs, lecturers, faculty). Textbook publishers only provide complimentary copies of required course textbooks that have been submitted to UCM Text Books ( by primary instructors for their course students.  

List of Publisher Contacts:

Course Evaluation System

Student course evaluations are used as an important source of information for the future improvement of courses and instruction. At the end of each term of instruction, students enrolled in natural sciences classes are sent a link to complete their course evaluation via Class Climate, our course evaluation feedback system. After grades for the class have been posted, instructors and teaching assistants are sent a link to review their evaluations.

Instructional Course Fieldtrips

NS Curriculum & Instructional support will assist with transportation for course fieldtrips only. Course fieldtrip requests for transportation must be submited prior to instruction. While both campus and non-campus rentals are reserved on a first-come-first-serve basis, the general availability of non-campus rentals are limited throughout the year since they are reserved by other public schools and for private events as well.

Please visit the TAPS Rental Vehicles page to find out how you can rent a campus vehicle or contact if our campus fleet vehicles do not meet your transportation needs.

To request charter buses or vehicles not available on campus for reservations, the primary course instructor will need to fill out the following form:
NS Course Fieldtrip Vehicle Request Webform

All drivers must:

  • Submit a DMV Pull Form to TAPS and the DMV for approval before they can operate any rental vehicle.
  • Possess a valid CA driver’s license and provide copy with their DMV Pull Form.
  • Be affiliated with UC Merced
  • Be present to sign out the vehicle and receive the keys on and off campus.

Student Clubs & Organizations: To reserve a vehicle, please request through the Office of Student Life.

Deadline, Forms, Grading, Accommodating Students, FERPA

Important Office of the Registrar information can be found at the following link tailored specifically for instructional faculty and staff: .